Friday, August 14, 2015

What I'm Working On

I marvel at the academics who seem able to be research active, teach effectively and somehow also blog and tweet regularly - how on earth do they do it?

The summer is normally the most exciting time for an academic because we get to work on what we want (within limits) - our own research.

This summer I've been attempting to finish up a number of projects, as well as try and nurture some interesting new angles. Quite a lot of interesting stuff came out of my forecasting teaching course that I began teaching almost two years ago now, and two things have emerged from there: forecasting football match outcomes, and forecasting Formula 1 outcomes. I still haven't managed to spend the necessary time, however, working out just how good my football forecasting is against bookmakers. I could do with an extra income source it's true...

I've looked at home advantage in tennis (incomplete but getting there), trust issues in football (almost there), market efficiency looking at political episodes (also getting there), and I'm about to turn my attention to issues surrounding market re-access for countries that default on their debt obligations.

No comments:

Post a Comment